American actress, writer and TV producer Issa Rae is partnering with Airbnb to host stays in LA inspired by her on-screen character. Jenny Southan reports
Ever innovative, Airbnb is following the success of its Christmas Home Alone stunt, with a new collaboration with TV star Issa Rae for Super Bowl weekend.
Airbnb says: “It’s been five years since Issa Rae first introduced the TV world to her beloved South LA neighborhood. Now, as the city prepares for football’s biggest night, the actress, writer and producer is becoming an Airbnb Host to show guests LA – her way.”
To usher in football’s favorite Sunday, Issa will open her house for a weekend stay on February 12-14. For just US$56 a night, guests can visit the locations showcased by her critically-acclaimed show IRL, and experience the culture, businesses and communities synonymous with Black LA firsthand. Rae says: “Since my series debuted in 2016, it’s been an honour to showcase the people, culture and businesses that make South LA such a vibrant part of the city. I became an Airbnb Host to create a stay where fans of the show can experience this for themselves. From dinner by Worldwide Tacos on game day, to art from my favorite local artists on the walls – this is LA, my way.”
With bookings now live here, up to two guests will enjoy:
- A live, virtual check-in with your host, Issa Rae.
- A catered “Game Day” dinner for two, courtesy of Worldwide Tacos.
- Panoramic views of Los Angeles and the Hollywood Hills from the outdoor lounge.
- A stylish mid-century View Park pad decked out with artwork by local Black artists including Maya Iman, Vakseen, and Domonique Brown.
- Getting to know Issa’s favorite local spots via a curated guidebook, including Eso Won Books, My 2 Cents, Supervsn Studios, Gorilla Rx Wellness, Swift Cafe, ALL CHILL and Southern Girl Desserts, and special touches in the home – like a Hilltop Coffee nook.
- Pampering yourself with Sienna Naturals hair care for a little Self Care Sunday, any day.
- Wine-ing down after a day of exploring South LA.
- Basking in the LA winter and relaxing by the pool dripping in Issa vibes with chaise lounges and canopies.
With Airbnb seeing a 50 per cent increase in searches for LA listings during Super Bowl weekend, local hosts have an opportunity to make additional income as a surge of guests look for a place to stay for the weekend.
To supplement the economic impact hosting has in the area, Airbnb has committed to supporting equitable health services, youth development and job creation in South LA by way of:
- A US$500,000 donation together with Nasdaq to help local organizations with visions in line with Nasdaq’s ambitions to advance inclusive growth and prosperity and to empower under-represented communities in their efforts to generate wealth. The local organizations include LeadersUp, which aims to close the racial wealth gap by connecting young adults of color seeking quality employment to employers seeking competitive talent; Central Neighborhood Health Foundation, which seeks to minimize disparities in healthcare access; and Brotherhood Crusade, a grass-roots organization working towards improving quality of life for under-represented communities.
- A first-time LA expansion of the Airbnb Entrepreneurship Academy – a tourism development program focused on partnering with local organizations in under-resourced communities – to provide insights into tourism focused entrepreneurship.
- A collaboration with the non-profit Nasdaq Entrepreneurial Center to offer an educational module focused on entrepreneurship and “solopreneurship” to Airbnb Entrepreneurship Academy participants, starting this spring.